Work continues on final stretch of bridge rehabilitation and restoration.
Arch Bridge Shuttle
History of the first bridge between West Linn and Oregon City:The wooden suspension bridge was opened November 1, 1888, and carried power cables that in June of 1889 lit downtown Portland at night for the first time. It was replaced in 1922 by a more modern, steel and gunite highway bridge, designed and built under the supervision of Conde McCullough, famous bridge designer for the Oregon Department of Transportation. The current 'old' (1922) bridge will be undergoing restoration by ODOT in 2011-12.
Walkers make their own history on the bridge on first day of the closure
The Willamette Falls Heritage Area Coalition, ODOT, and the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde co-sponsored a bridge-closing ceremony for pedestrians on January 15, 2011, the first day of the closure. Here's a photo that gives the flavor of a very wet and well-received event that drew more than 700 people to the center of the 1922 span for memories, drumming, fry bread and history displays. The coalition is working to help pull together popular consensus around the formation of a future National Heritage Area for the falls-area communities.
Stay tuned to the Willamette Falls Heritage Area Coalition for info on the party that will happen for the reopening in October 2012. http://www.wfheritage.org/
This photo from February 20, 2011 shows railings ascending the arches, as ODOT prepares for the next step in its work on the project.
How do you make an arch into a pyramid? With lots of scaffolding and white plastic. Photo taken in late February 2012. Winds helped remove the plastic in May.